San Francisco, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Is it possible to have the green card process expedited? My family has been separated for a long time.

We've been waiting for 10 months. My family has been separated. It is a huge financial burden having to pay rent and other expenses both in the US and in Korea.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Gunda Yohanna Brost
Gunda Yohanna Brost
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cedar Falls, IA

A: It is unclear from

What you’ve shared why you are paying additional expenses in two countries as part of the green card process. Green card processing usually takes an average of about a year so your case falls within normal processing times and therefore without an emergency probably can’t be expedited. If your eligibility for a green card has changed due to the family composition as you seem to mention, you may have to notify USCIS. To be sure you protect your rights consult with a reputable immigration attorney directly.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may allow expedited processing of green card applications in certain limited circumstances. USCIS may consider expediting a green card application for reasons such as severe financial loss, urgent humanitarian situations, or compelling U.S. government interests.

To request expedited processing of your green card application, you will need to submit a written request to USCIS and provide documentation supporting your claim for expedited processing. The decision to grant or deny an expedited request is entirely within the discretion of USCIS.

It is important to note that expedited processing is not guaranteed and is only granted in rare and extreme circumstances. If your expedited request is denied, your application will continue to be processed according to the normal processing times.

Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with an immigration attorney to explore other options for reuniting with your family, such as a visitor visa or a humanitarian parole. An immigration attorney can also help you navigate the green card application process and advise you on the best course of action for your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.