Bradenton, FL asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: If my partner moves in with me and pays rent and improvements is he eligible to received any profit from sell of my home

I own a home in manatee county Florida. I allowed my partner to move in with me. He pays half the bills in form of a rent check to me monthly. He also paid half of getting my main electrical box replaced ($2900.00).

1 Lawyer Answer
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Were you to sell your house, he would be invisible to the title company, as he is not on the deed. He would not be entitled to share the profits of the sale, as he would be if he co-owned the home.

Whether he can sue you for some amount as compensation for the contributions he has made, and prevail on those claims is something to.discuss with an attorney should he threaten you with a lawsuit. You should reimburse him now for the money he paid to repair your electrical box. Since you are charging him rent, he is a tenant and would likely not prevail on a suit demanding the rent that he has paid you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.