Houston, TX asked in Business Law, Energy, Oil and Gas and Contracts for Texas

Q: Can I sue based on Liberty's actions: I had a gas lease agreement to which liberty Utilities fails to provide any notice

Liberty Utilities fails to provide any notices within a 24 hour time of notice when they appear to vacate property without any such work. This company has continued to breach our agreement concerning no kind of notices within a 24 hour period before coming on the property. They refused to make payment on 03/24/2023

1 Lawyer Answer
Aimee Hess
Aimee Hess
  • Energy, Oil & Gas Law Lawyer
  • Streetman, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I assume that since you reference a utility company that the agreement you have with them is an easement. It's unusual for a utility easement to require advance notice to the land owner to come on vacant land to do work, and especially if the utility believes the work may be needed for a safety issue. At any rate, the best place to determine what your rights are in response to a violation of the agreement is the language of the agreement itself. If the easement or contract does not give you any rights, you might contact the Texas Public Utilities Commission to see if they can be of assistance. If that does not work, then you will need to consult an attorney to determine if there are any court cases or statutes that provide remedies for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.