East Brunswick, NJ asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Can a be emancipated if she has a job/ a place to live in New Jersey without parental approval?

I am 14 and I have wanted to move out for a long time. I am confident that I' will have a job by 16. Can i moveout at 16 without my parents approval and find a place to live?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I am a parent and cannot imagine what is going through your head to be 14 years old and want to be emancipated but I can promise you that being emancipated will not be easier than your current setting. As a 14 year old, im sure that your parents are on your case and telling you what you need to do, etc and its annoying. When I was 14 years old, everything that my parents told me to do or expected of me was annoying as well and back to the days of the caveman and cave woman, parents have always been annoying. There is even a cave drawing of a cave teenager, wanting to run away from home or go live with another cave family because of the chore responsibilities imposed .... but I digress.

I promise you that I am not making fun of you. Simply trying to point out that growing up is not easy and dealing with responsibilities imposed the source of most family fights but having to work to pay for the cost of an apartment, healthcare costs, transportation, etc can and will be a worse setting.

For whatever its worth, if you want to be seen as mature, sit down and write up a contract with your parents as to expectations for you and what you want in return. I always told my sons that I dont expect them to be perfect and acknowledge that they will make mistakes but that I expect them to take ownership of their mistakes, be honest with me ( even if I dont like what I hear) and show me good faith in handling responsibilities.

Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.