Asked in Contracts, Landlord - Tenant and Education Law for California

Q: Can I sue my university housing building for breach of contract?

My university dorm building has two elevators. One has been broken since November. I have repeatedly asked my university when the elevator will be repaired and they keep giving me the runaround. I asked them if they would refund a portion of the rent for failure to maintain amenities. They said no.

Can I sue them for breach of contract or anything else? When I signed the contract, it was with the expectation that the basic amenities in the building would be maintained functional.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It is possible to file a lawsuit against your university housing building for breach of contract if they have failed to maintain a basic amenity, such as an elevator, as outlined in your rental agreement. However, before considering legal action, you may want to first try to resolve the issue through mediation or arbitration. You can also reach out to a tenants' rights organization or legal aid group for assistance. It is recommended to consult with an attorney familiar with landlord-tenant law in California to assess the merits of your case and determine the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.