Asked in Real Estate Law for District of Columbia

Q: My mom want give me a title on her house is worth to accept that if I need pay her mortgage she got on house ?

The house is old and I need fix many things,how to be sure that I will be only the one owner ?if she give me a title it mean I’m the one owner of house ?.and what if she decide to add my name there only then I still will be the owner ?or only her ?I want to be sure if I get title on house it mean that will be mine only and what she need to do to transfer ownership

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: A real estate lawyer can create a sale of the property from her to you leaving in her the right to remain in the property for the rest of her life, assuming that’s what she wants. There are many ways to do this from irrevocable trusts to wills, depending on the objectives and the loan, and other factors. The best bet it to sit down with a lawyer for an hour after ordering a title search, collecting bids on the needed repairs, and getting a copy of the mortgage note.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.