Asked in Immigration Law and Family Law

Q: Can I do court marriage with my already married girlfriend

Me and my girlfriend are know each other from 5 years and when we told our parents about our relationship than my gf's parents force my gf for marriage with other man so me and my girlfriend want to live together!

Can we live together even she is already married

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: No, it is not legal to do a court marriage with someone who is already married. In most jurisdictions, bigamy or polygamy is illegal and can result in serious legal consequences. Additionally, it is important to consider the emotional and ethical implications of pursuing a relationship with someone who is already married. It is recommended to consult with a lawyer to explore your legal options in your specific situation.

Gunda Yohanna Brost agrees with this answer

Gunda Yohanna Brost
Gunda Yohanna Brost
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cedar Falls, IA

A: Marrying someone already married would be bigamy and the marriage would be deemed invalid at inception. Now nobody can forbid the two of you to live together in this country if that’s what you both want to do. It may be simplest for her to file a divorce. Somehow her opinion on these marriages is missing in your equation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.