Asked in Bankruptcy, Divorce, Family Law and Foreclosure for Arkansas

Q: Howdo I get a dismissed petition chapter13 bankruptcy removed frm my credit report if the filing information wasn't mine

I need help in regards a chapter 13 bankruptcy that all the debts were in ex spouses name but they filed it in my name. Hes Scott free and now they are foreclosing, and I'm still co borrower on the mortgage. How can I do I fix this for my future. Divorce is pending.

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Contact all three credit bureaus and advise them of the error and provide them with the documentation necessary to correct it. Usually takes about 30-45 days to get corrected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.