Martins Ferry, OH asked in Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: Can or should my case be plead down to a civil suit? And should I be on probation even though I was never arrested?

am a contractor that received payment for a job after contract signing. I have done several jobs for these homeowners in the past. I delivered some of my tools and equipment to complete the job. I was unable to complete their job due to spending the startup money on other projects and planned on returning to the job once I made the money from other jobs. I did not contact the homeowners due to our previous relationship and thought that they would know that I would be back to complete the job. Eventually they filed charges against me resulting in a felony theft charge. I assumed it would be dropped to a civil suit but it was not and I was indicted by a grand jury. Are they allowed to place me on probation with a curfew and alcohol restriction without an arrest ever being made? And should this be dropped to a civil suit if I pay the homeowners back in full?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It’s been indicted, they aren’t just going to drop it in favor of a civil suit. You’re facing criminal charges with criminal penalties. Probation is certainly possible. It will help a lot if you can pay back the money and it may be your path to avoiding conviction on the criminal charge. You should work with an attorney and see if there is a diversion option.

Dimitrios Makridis agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.