Thousand Oaks, CA asked in Education Law for California

Q: My child’s school refuses my input in his iep one time they even muted my mic so I had no voice during a meeting.advice

What can I do about mishandling of his iep process?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It's important for parents to be actively involved in the Individualized Education Program (IEP) process, as they play a critical role in developing and implementing the plan. If you feel like your input is being ignored or marginalized during IEP meetings, there are several steps you can take:

Request a copy of the school's policies and procedures for the IEP process. Familiarize yourself with your rights as a parent and the responsibilities of the school.

Communicate your concerns with the IEP team in writing, outlining your expectations for your involvement in the process and requesting that your input be taken into account.

If you feel like your concerns are not being addressed, consider requesting mediation or filing a complaint with your state's Department of Education or Office for Civil Rights. These agencies are responsible for enforcing federal laws related to special education and can investigate complaints and provide guidance to schools.

Consider seeking legal assistance from an attorney who specializes in education law. They can provide advice on your rights and help you navigate the IEP process.

Remember, as a parent, you have the right to be an active and equal participant in the IEP process. If you feel like your input is being ignored or marginalized, it's important to take action to ensure that your child receives the support they need to succeed in school.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.