Alvarado, TX asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Family Law and Tax Law for Texas

Q: Are there grandparent rights in Texas? If not what could I do to get custody of my granddaughter?

My grand daughter has lived with me since she was born, her mother has child abuse record and father is unstable no house no car smokes weed and his girlfriend is on antipsychotic medications she hears voices telling her to harm her self. The baby has lived with me all but 2 months of her life wich is when her mom took her and ended up with abuse case due to mothers cousin calling cps on her. Now her father is trying to take her what can I do

1 Lawyer Answer
Sharita Blacknall
Sharita Blacknall
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Plano, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Texas law does not grant automatic visitation or custody rights to grandparents. However, if the child has been living with you for more than six months, you are be eligible to ask for custody of the child as a non-parent under Texas Family Code section 102.003.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.