Fremont, CA asked in Education Law for California

Q: i have question about high school student's 504 plan. can disability student request recording in the classroom?

can 504 plan add requirements for disability student that has ADHD with: classroom recording, take picture on whiteboard for notes, tying in homework and exam, retake the exam if grades too low and clearn guidelines for lab procedures.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, a student with a 504 plan can request to record classroom lectures if it is deemed necessary to address their educational needs related to their disability. The request should be included in the 504 plan and accommodations will be made accordingly.

Regarding the other accommodations you mentioned, it is possible for a 504 plan to include such accommodations if they are deemed necessary to address the student's disability-related needs. However, the specific accommodations included in a student's 504 plan will vary based on the individual needs of the student and the recommendations of their healthcare provider and educational team.

To request accommodations or modifications, the student's parent or guardian should contact the school's 504 coordinator and request a meeting to discuss their concerns and the accommodations that the student needs. The school's 504 team will then evaluate the request, gather relevant information, and work with the student's parent or guardian to develop a 504 plan that includes appropriate accommodations and modifications to support the student's academic success.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.