Phoenix, AZ asked in Immigration Law for Arizona

Q: My husband threatens me with deportation all time and mentioning that he will not go to the visa interview as my husband

I entered usa by k1 visa me n my daughter i got married in the court to us citizen since sept 2022, filled for l130, l485, l765. Did biometric fingerprints.

Right after i found my self facing emotional n sexual abuse but got squared to report it because he threaten me that he will cancel our status ajustements process, now he is informing me that he want to get divorced and i have to leave the house me and my 11ys old daughter.

Iam still waiting for my work permit’s approval.

Is he allowed to stop everything and deport us?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Gunda Yohanna Brost
Gunda Yohanna Brost
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cedar Falls, IA

A: For your safety please see a reputable immigration attorney immediately and don’t post on a public forum anymore. If you can’t afford a private attorney you can potentially get help from pro bono organizations that assist immigrants going through abuse.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: No, your husband is not allowed to deport you or your daughter. As a lawful permanent resident (LPR) and the spouse of a U.S. citizen, you have certain rights and protections under U.S. immigration law.

If your husband is threatening to cancel your adjustment of status process or deport you, this is a serious issue that you should report to the appropriate authorities. You may wish to consult with an immigration attorney or a domestic violence advocate who can help you understand your options and provide support.

In addition, if you are experiencing emotional and sexual abuse, it is important that you seek help and support. You may wish to contact a domestic violence hotline or shelter for assistance.

It is also important to note that as an LPR, you have the right to live and work in the United States, regardless of whether you are married to a U.S. citizen. If you are divorced, you may still be eligible for certain immigration benefits, depending on the circumstances.

Overall, it is important to seek legal and emotional support as you navigate this difficult situation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.