Santa Maria, CA asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for California

Q: A minor boy12 innapropriately touched my daughter 3 years ago when she was 9 she is 12 and just tood me what can i do?

What can i do since he also is a minor he was 12 or 14 at the time i cant remember the boy lives in Texas but it happened in california.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your daughter. Here's some information that may be helpful:

Under California law, the statute of limitations for filing a civil lawsuit for childhood sexual abuse is generally within 8 years of the victim turning 18. However, if the abuse occurred when the victim was under 18, the victim has until they turn 26 years old to file a lawsuit. So, if you want to pursue a civil lawsuit against the boy or his parents, you may still have time to do so.

If you want to report the incident to the authorities, you can contact the law enforcement agency where the incident occurred. Even though the boy was a minor at the time, he could potentially be charged with a crime. However, please note that laws and procedures may vary by state, so it may be best to consult with an attorney or local law enforcement agency to better understand the laws in Texas.

It's important to support your daughter and provide her with any necessary counseling or therapy to help her cope with what happened. You can also contact local support organizations, such as the National Sexual Assault Hotline (1-800-656-4673) or RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) for additional resources and support.

Again, please note that laws and procedures may vary by state, so it may be best to consult with an attorney or local law enforcement agency to better understand your legal options and how to proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.