San Pedro, CA asked in Business Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: can a company impose a monetary fine on its customers for violating state law?

The property management company that services my office building is adding a charge to if monthly rent if suspect ed of smoking in their office.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It is generally not legal for a company to impose a monetary fine on its customers for violating state law. In the case of smoking in an office building, it would be up to the property management company to enforce any relevant state or local laws and regulations related to smoking. However, they would not have the authority to impose their own penalties or fines on tenants or customers.

If the property management company suspects that someone is smoking in the building, they may have the right to investigate and take action based on the terms of the lease agreement or rental contract. This could include notifying the tenant of the violation, issuing a warning or notice to vacate, or pursuing legal action if necessary.

It's important to review the terms of your lease agreement or rental contract to understand your rights and obligations as a tenant. If you have concerns about the property management company's actions or policies, you may want to consult with an attorney or seek assistance from a tenants' rights organization.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.