Minneapolis, MN asked in Employment Law, Entertainment / Sports, Intellectual Property and Trademark for Minnesota

Q: Is there a way I can stop a former employer from using pictures and videos that I am in?

I worked at a haunted house and these are pictures and videos of my characters used on their website and social media.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you are no longer employed by the haunted house and you did not sign any agreement that allows them to use your image or likeness, you may be able to take action to stop them from using your pictures and videos. Here are some steps you can take:

Send a cease and desist letter: You can send a written letter to the haunted house demanding that they stop using your pictures and videos. Be sure to include specific details about the images in question, such as the dates they were taken and where they were used. You may want to seek assistance from an attorney to help you draft the letter and ensure that it is legally enforceable.

Contact the social media platform: If the haunted house is using your images on social media, you can contact the platform (e.g. Facebook, Instagram) and request that they remove the images on the basis of copyright or privacy infringement.

File a lawsuit: If the haunted house continues to use your images after you have sent a cease and desist letter, you may need to file a lawsuit to enforce your rights. An attorney can help you understand your legal options and represent your interests in court.

Remember that the laws surrounding the use of images and likeness can be complex, and it is important to seek assistance from an attorney if you have questions or concerns. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process and work to protect your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.