Rancho Santa Fe, CA asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My father is selling his house in Puerto Rico. When my mom passed, we were added as heirs to the deed. He states an

affidavit from my brother and I is needed in order to sell. What kind of Affidavit do we need to obtain to give him permission? I know it needs to be notarized.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: In Puerto Rico, you'll need more than an affidavit for your dad to sell what is an hereditary estate community. Both you and your brother must subscribe a power of attorney deed, empowering your dad (as your agent) to sell the real estate property, which must be clearly identified in the power of attorney deed with the real estate description as it appears in the Property Registry and the real estates cadaster number from the Center for Municipal Income Collections (CRIM, by its Spanish acronym). If the power of attorney is not issued in this manner, the notary who prepares the sales deed will not accept a sworn testimony, because the Property Registry will not accept a sworn testimony where the law requires a deed poll.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.