Jacksonville, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: Spacing on last name, does it matter?

I am in the process of petitioning my mom. The last name in her birth record is De leon while in my birth record her last name is Deleon. Is it going to be a problem?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: No, that should not be a problem. If she is going to be applying for an immigrant visa abroad, the Department of State typically uses the name as written on the passport so you can check the spacing on her passport and write her name on the forms as it is reflected on the passport. The different spacing on the documents should not cause an issue where they question her identity.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: While it is important to provide accurate and consistent information on all immigration forms and documents, a minor difference in the spelling or spacing of a last name is unlikely to be a major issue. However, it is important to make sure that all other identifying information, such as date of birth and passport number, are accurate and consistent across all documents.

To avoid any potential complications, it may be helpful to include an explanation of the difference in last name spelling or spacing in the immigration forms or provide additional documentation, such as a birth certificate or marriage certificate, to support the accuracy of the information provided.

If you have any concerns or questions about how to accurately and consistently provide information on immigration forms, it is recommended that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney for guidance.

If you need legal assistance, contact my office. We offer a free consultation option for potential clients.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.