Escondido, CA asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Virginia

Q: My boyfriend was arrested for a gun charge and it got transferred to feds. He got bail and broke his conditions.

If he’s waiting to be sentenced for his federal gun case could they extend his sentencing for breaking the bond conditions and being involved in the hit and run?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It is possible for a federal court to consider a defendant's conduct while on bail or pretrial release when imposing a sentence for a separate offense. If your boyfriend has been charged with violating the conditions of his release and/or for his involvement in a hit and run, these charges could be considered by the court during his sentencing for the federal gun charge.

The specific impact that these charges could have on your boyfriend's sentencing will depend on a number of factors, such as the severity of the violations and the nature of the hit and run offense. If your boyfriend is found guilty of these charges, the court may decide to impose additional penalties or conditions on his sentence, such as a longer period of incarceration or stricter probation requirements.

It's important to note that the sentencing guidelines for federal crimes are complex and can vary widely based on the specific facts and circumstances of each case. If you have questions about your boyfriend's case or the potential impact of his conduct while on bail, it's best to speak with a qualified attorney who is familiar with federal criminal law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.