Morganfield, KY asked in Real Estate Law for Kentucky

Q: Can I put a lien on property that I sold with a verbal agreement?

I sold my grandson a house with a verbal agreement that he would pay $500.00 a month and deeded it to him. He made several payments and then he decided he didn't want to pay anymore. I have kept record of all the payments he has made. What can I do now?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter J. Weinman
Peter J. Weinman pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Unfortunately, you have an uphill battle without a written agreement, like a promissory note. I'm going to assume (since you say it was a verbal agreement) you did not record a mortgage - which would have given you leverage (foreclosure). The fact that he made some payments is good (evidence) of the debt and his obligation to repay. You need to bring all documentation and communications (emails, texts, even something written on a napkin) to a local attorney to review and discuss your rights and possible remedies. If you need to locate someone near you, start your search here:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.