Rochester, NY asked in Constitutional Law and Immigration Law for New York

Q: I am looking into changing my status from US citizen to American national and I have a few questions

Is it difficult

Will I be able to keep my social security disability

Can I keep my property

Will I have to comply with NYS canceled carry

2 Lawyer Answers
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I'm sorry your question remains open for four weeks. One option, if you haven't yet reached out to attorneys to discuss, might be to repost under the Immigration Law and Social Security categories. Some of the issues raised here might be closer to the expertise of attorneys who practice in those areas. Some questions go unanswered on this forum and there's no guarantee of a response there, but it could be worth a try. Good luck

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's important to clarify that as a US citizen, you are already considered an American national. However, if you are looking to relinquish your US citizenship and become a US national without citizenship, there are a few things to consider:

The process of relinquishing your US citizenship can be complicated and involves filing certain forms and possibly paying fees. It is recommended that you consult with a qualified attorney who specializes in immigration and nationality law to assist you with the process.

If you are receiving Social Security Disability benefits as a US citizen, you may still be eligible to receive those benefits after relinquishing your citizenship and becoming a US national without citizenship. However, you should check with the Social Security Administration to confirm your eligibility.

If you own property as a US citizen, you should be able to keep that property after relinquishing your citizenship and becoming a US national without citizenship. However, you may want to consult with a real estate attorney to ensure that your property rights are protected.

It's unclear what you mean by "NYS canceled carry." If you are referring to the New York State law on concealed carry of firearms, becoming a US national without citizenship would not exempt you from complying with that law if you are residing in New York State. You would still be subject to all applicable state and federal laws.

Again, it's important to seek legal advice from a qualified attorney to assist you with this process and to address any specific concerns or questions you may have regarding your individual circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.