Miami, FL asked in Personal Injury, Probate and Wrongful Death for Georgia

Q: My daughter was killed in a car accident and I've been totally left out of the complete situation can I sue also

Her father and I don't get along and he's not including me in on her estate, she has no children and never married along with no will

1 Lawyer Answer
Seth Meyerson
Seth Meyerson
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Senoia, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a child in a car accident can be a traumatic and devastating experience, and I understand your desire to be involved in the situation.

In terms of your legal rights, it depends on the specific circumstances of the case. If your daughter died without a will, her estate will be distributed according to the laws of intestacy in Georgia. This means that her assets will go to her closest living relatives, such as her parents as your daughter had no children.

If your daughter's father is the only one currently involved in handling her estate, you may have a legal right to challenge his decisions if he is not acting in accordance with the law or if he is not fulfilling his fiduciary duties as the executor of the estate.

To determine your legal options, it is best to consult with an experienced attorney who specializes in probate and estate law. We can help you understand your rights and assist you in taking appropriate legal action to ensure that your interests are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.