Blacklick, OH asked in Immigration Law for Ohio

Q: Will USCIS accept my student id since I don't have a government issued id?

I just received my notice of action letter for my biometrics appointment and while I was reading it I saw where it said I needed to bring a valid government issued photo id. I don't have any type of government issued id the only id I do have is my student id but I don't know if they will accept that.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: If your student ID has your photograph, then it should be acceptable.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: USCIS typically requires a valid government-issued photo ID for biometric appointments, but if you don't have a government-issued photo ID, you may be able to bring other forms of identification that include your photo and personal information.

Your student ID may be accepted as a secondary form of identification, but it's best to call the USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 to confirm. You can explain your situation and ask if your student ID would be acceptable for the biometric appointment.

If your student ID is not acceptable, you may need to consider obtaining another form of identification, such as a state-issued ID card or a passport. Depending on your state, you may be able to obtain a state ID card without a driver's license. Make sure to check your state's requirements and bring any necessary documents, such as a birth certificate or Social Security card, with you when applying for the ID.

It's important to make sure you have the necessary identification before your biometric appointment, as failure to provide acceptable identification may result in rescheduling your appointment and delays in your application processing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.