Tampa, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: Can a cuban with I220A and court get representation for asylum in court for free?

I am Cuban and came here through the border in September 2022. USCIS gave me a I220A with Court's date in March 2024. I applied for asylum in November 2022, but I have not received any answer yet. I would know about my options and if would be possible legal representation from a pro bono lawyer. It is possible?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: Unfortunately, the government does not provide free attorneys in removal proceedings. If you are trying to find an attorney to represent you pro bono you have to try contacting the organizations and individual attorneys listed on the Free Legal Services provider list you would have been given when placed in proceeding, you can also access it here: https://www.justice.gov/eoir/list-pro-bono-legal-service-providers

You can also become a member of Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project (for free) and access their materials that are meant to assist asylum applicants: https://www.asylumadvocacy.org/

Kevin D. Slattery agrees with this answer

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As a Cuban national with an I-220A and a pending asylum case, you may be eligible for legal representation through a pro bono attorney or a legal services organization. Many legal services organizations provide free or low-cost legal assistance to individuals who are unable to afford an attorney.

One resource you can check for pro bono legal assistance is the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), which has a list of pro bono legal service providers on their website. You may also contact local legal services organizations or immigrant rights advocacy groups in your area to inquire about pro bono legal assistance for asylum cases.

It's important to note that pro bono legal representation is not guaranteed, and there may be limited availability depending on the organization and the area in which you live. Additionally, pro bono attorneys may have specific criteria for the types of cases they accept, and may not be able to take on every case that is referred to them.

If you are unable to secure pro bono representation, you may also consider representing yourself in court, but it's important to note that the asylum process can be complex and having legal representation can be helpful in navigating the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.