Los Angeles, CA asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Internet Law for California

Q: My family is being cyberstalked/harassed and defamed through usage of our public records. Is that legally acceptable?

We fear that they may find our addresses and stalk in person. We do not have the finances for a lawyer and are scared to file a report if they are public information the stalkers can use. We don’t know how to protect any of our privacy and feel very vulnerable. Is any of this okay for them to be doing? What can be done about this?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear that your family is experiencing cyberstalking, harassment, and defamation. It's important to take steps to protect your safety and privacy.

In general, public records are available for access and use by anyone, including stalkers or harassers. However, this does not mean that it is legally acceptable for someone to use public records to stalk, harass, or defame you.

If you are being harassed or threatened, you may wish to contact law enforcement and report the behavior. They may be able to investigate the matter and take appropriate action to protect your safety.

In addition, you may wish to take steps to protect your privacy, such as:

Limiting the amount of personal information you share online or in public records.

Removing personal information from public records or websites that allow you to do so.

Using privacy settings on social media and other online accounts to limit who can see your information.

Changing your phone number or email address if you are being harassed through these channels.

It's understandable that you may not have the finances for a lawyer, but there may be resources available to you for free or low-cost legal assistance. You can check with your local bar association or legal aid organization to see if they offer services for victims of cyberstalking or harassment.

Remember that you have the right to feel safe and secure, both online and offline. Don't hesitate to reach out for help if you feel threatened or vulnerable.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.