Coshocton, OH asked in Family Law and Probate for Ohio

Q: My parents made changes to their will and signed and had this witnessed leaving me their house.

My parents made a change to their will leaving me their home. This was signed by them and had two witnesses. My parents died a few days apart from Covid. The probate judge has had their will for over 2 years and says he never seen this. Now my attorney has to file a case law. I’ve been living in the house taking care or it and paying the bills and paid off the mortgage. Will I get to keep my house? Can the judge make me sell it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aaron Epling
Aaron Epling
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Hilliard, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Even if the will says that you get the house, and assuming the house is going through probate, the judge can force the sale if the estate has creditors or other beneficiaries with interests that cannot be resolved without selling the house. I advise you to ask the attorney whether s/he represents you personally. This matters because you may be talking to somebody who you believe is your attorney, but is not. And, get it in writing...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.