Tampa, FL asked in Domestic Violence and Personal Injury for New Jersey

Q: Could you file a suit against your homeowners insurance for domestic violence/injurY/PTSD, endured while living in home?

2 Lawyer Answers
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I dont know.

I presume that you are suggesting that your partner engaged in acts of violence against you and as a result of his / her actions, you suffered an injury and now want to know if you can file a claim against your homeowner's insurance carrier for the damages.

My suggestion is that you contact a "certified civil trial attorney by the New Jersey Supreme Court" (a very specific type of skillset and trial experience level) and ask if that is a possible viable claim.

If the lawyer says yes, I would appreciate it if you would let my office know so that I am aware of it as well.

Peter J. Weinman
Peter J. Weinman pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: It's unlikely your homeowner's insurance would cover you for the results of the intentional acts of others, including what you suffered at home. You should contact your health insurance provider to cover expenses related to your injuries and any follow-up treatments and/or ongoing therapy. Ignore the fact that the link below says "female" (but maybe you are) - here's a link to some useful resources - I hope everything works out for you: https://www.nj.gov/dcf/women/hotlines/

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.