Cedar Hill, TX asked in Probate for Texas

Q: In 2000, my brother passed away and had no spouse and only one minor child.

I filed an Application to Appoint Dependent Administrator. The attorney said that since I was not his heir, I could not do it so we filed a nonsuit. The case was dismissed without prejudice but the case still shows as open. Can his child file an Application now that the child is an adult although the case still remains open in Texas? Is there anything that I need to do so that a new Application can be filed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Isaac Shutt
Isaac Shutt
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Richardson, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: YES, the child can definitely file an application for administration. However, now that the child is an adult, there are better options. For one, depending on what assets there are, there may not be a need for an administration. He may just need a "determination of heirship" only. If he needs a determination of heirship AND an administration, he can go with an independent administration. That would be much, much better than a dependent administration.

Bottom line is this: If there are assets in your brother's name, your nephew should definitely get a probate attorney to help him get those assets in his name. The options available now are actually probably better than the options that were available years ago.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.