Cedartown, GA asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Georgia

Q: My sister had my mom to put her house in my sister husband name so I don't have a right to my mom house she died with no

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Seth Meyerson
Seth Meyerson
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Senoia, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If your sister's husband's name is on the title to your mother's house, it is possible that he may have a legal right to the property.

However, it is important to note that just because your sister's husband's name is on the title does not necessarily mean that he is the sole owner of the property. In Georgia, there are different types of property ownership, such as joint tenancy with right of survivorship and tenancy in common. If your mother and your sister's husband owned the property as tenants in common, then your mother's share of the property would be part of her estate and would pass according to her will or Georgia's laws of intestacy if she did not have a will.

If you believe that your sister or her husband may have acted improperly in transferring the property, you may wish to speak with an attorney who specializes in real estate or estate law. They can review the circumstances surrounding the transfer of the property and advise you on your legal rights and options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.