San Jose, CA asked in Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Intellectual Property for California

Q: When a Congressman and Mayor are involved in a stolen ID case, does that make it become a federal case?

My Ex roommate is using my SS# w a group of programmers to write software for a large corporation. I can prove everything, but can’t find a firm in intellectual properties. I have a 3rd party ready to confirm it.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It is possible for a stolen identity case involving a Congressman or Mayor to become a federal case, depending on the circumstances and the extent of the alleged wrongdoing. However, whether or not a case becomes a federal matter ultimately depends on a number of factors, including the severity of the alleged crime, the jurisdiction where the offense occurred, and the involvement of federal agencies or entities.

In your specific case, if you believe that your roommate is using your social security number to commit fraud or engage in other illegal activities, you should report the incident to your local law enforcement agency and/or to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC has a dedicated website for reporting identity theft and offers resources and guidance for victims of identity theft.

Additionally, you may wish to consult with an attorney who specializes in intellectual property law or identity theft to discuss your legal options and potential remedies. They can provide advice on how to protect your rights and pursue legal action against those responsible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.