Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

California Identity Theft Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on

Q: Can I request money from identity theft before the case is settled

William Jaksa answered on Sep 16, 2019

You are certainly allowed to ask the person you suspected that stole your identity to provide you with restitution even before their case is settled. Don't threaten them or offer anything in exchange, simply ask that they make you whole again. If they are smart they will realize that paying back... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Appeals / Appellate Law and Identity Theft for California on

Q: I am seeking a pro Bono lawyer to help with this matter. My family was laughed at as we left the motel also followed

The motel employees and owner treated us like crap and now we are sleeping in my truck. My children are ashamed and disappointed by the treatment and verdict.

Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 6, 2019

I'm sorry for your ordeal here. You could contact the State Bar of California - they have resources for free legal help that you could explore. They are located in the section of their website, "Public." Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Criminal Law for California on

Q: I am a minor I cut off my ppp house arrest bracelet and came to Mexico I have a warrant for my arrest will I be arrested

If I try to cross the border back into California

Gary Kollin answered on Aug 23, 2019

Going through customs! Yep

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for California on

Q: Out first & ONLY attempt to release <in hand> absolute, binding proof, Staff + Exec Credit Union Corruption/Fraud/Kiting

Question is: who wants it? This won't even make it to arbitration, it's gonna be handcuffs for at least 3 High-ranking executives, down to scrub(s) that open account in July 2017.

As the CIO stated, "you can have as many sub-accounts as you want" Apparently I have several and I'm the... Read more »

William John Light answered on Aug 15, 2019

Sounds like a criminal or regulatory matter. The National Credit Union Administration is the independent federal agency that regulates, charters and supervises federal credit unions. You can submit a complaint to it here:

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Business Law and Identity Theft for California on

Q: my deceased business partner's husband is using her phone and taking my business calls. is that legal?

William Jaksa answered on Aug 9, 2019

There are several interesting legal issues here. What was the partnership agreement's conditions on what happens in the event of a death? Was there any consideration given to whom your partner's share of the business will go to? Was their share to be assumed by their estate? Is he interfering with... Read more »

4 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Gov & Administrative Law, Sexual Harassment and Identity Theft for California on

Q: I have a card debt with $35,000 used with me and my boyfriend. he didn't have a social so I let him use and pay me back

But apparently, he did not. He just keep talking he will pay me back, he will work hard, but nothing paid back. I let him use my credit card for daily life, but he used for sports betting without my consent. He kept promised me he won't do it again but it is still happening and he even do cocaine.... Read more »

Peter Maurice Lively answered on Aug 7, 2019

I'm sorry for your circumstances which sound stressful and frustrating, you are certainly not alone.

You could spend a lot of time energy and money obtaining a judgment and trying to collect the judgment from someone without succeeding.

You might be eligible for a bankruptcy...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Personal Injury and Workers' Compensation for California on

Q: The phrase “without regard to its conflicts of law provisions” may be looked over by the contracting party?

“The validity of this authorization is governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Illinois...”

I am in California the defendant parties will not respond when asking if they can investigate whether my signature or original or if it was done without my... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow answered on Jul 30, 2019

this is listed as a WC question which i do not do.

I think you have to set up an appt with an attorney close to where you reside to see if the facts will warrant jurisdiction and a filing there.

otherwise, you may be forced to deal with Illinois law.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Identity Theft for California on

Q: Office Depot charged my account for purchase never made, they can't locate the transaction. Paypal denied help. Lawsuit?

I made a purchase online at Office Depot in April, I got the item (chair). In June, same amount with the same exact details was debited AGAIN from my Paypal, by Office Depot, but I didn't make this purchase this time. I reported it as fraud, then as a duplicate transaction to Paypal. Both times... Read more »

William John Light answered on Jul 29, 2019

Sue Office Depot in Small Claims for a refund, and/or notify your credit card company that you dispute the charges and that you instruct it not to pay.

Q: I live in CA. I am not represented. What would be the appropriate DWC forms to address the following?







William John Light answered on Jul 8, 2019

Get a workers comp attorney for your case, or pay for a full consultation on how to address the issues you raise. This forum is not for detailed, free advice on how to litigate your case.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Identity Theft for California on

Q: How can I research a loan company to see if they are legitimate? I can't find anything on basic internet searches.

I have a name and offer contract. I was contacted by phone and approved before I received the "offer contract". Questions arise due to the payment amount stated does not compute correctly with the stated interest rate and months of loan agreement, also they are asking for a "collateral payment" of... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 20, 2019

If you have to ask whether an internet bank is legitimate or not, it probably isn't.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Identity Theft, Internet Law and Social Security for California on

Q: I was a victim of a Social Security scam. I withdrew 25K in cash and deposited it via bitcoin. Can I get my funds back?

Someone called me pretending to be a Social Security officer and claimed that my SSN was linked to drug trafficking, money laundering, and that there was a warrant out for my arrest. He had an accomplice that spoofed his caller ID to make it look as though he was calling from my local Department.... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 10, 2019

Probably not. Thousands of gullible Americans fall prey to "get rich quick" scams like this every day of the week. If you have the name or any other information about who any of these scammers are--or the names of the banks involved--there are experienced lawyers who can try to trace the scammers... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on

Q: Is an identity theft case in CA without monetary loss or assault, but many names and info. justified 43 yrs prison?

Denied all motions. Illegal search warrant, Confession under duress, police had mom in custody, using for leverage, threatening. Coersion, slight but others 100% violated. 27 yr old son 13 year plea bargain, 43 yr. sentence if convicted. Stacked all the charges. over 40 counts. Only possession.

Dale S. Gribow answered on May 11, 2019





Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for California on

Q: My brothers ex-wife changing personal info in his file, and using SS number to acquire credit.

Ex-wife prosecuted for fraud in past. She acquired home loan without my brothers knowledge, while he was in jail. She's committed fraud using my parents with HUD. She's heavily involved with crime. She's used false Social Security numbers, defrauded Welfare and my dead parents. She goes to the... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow answered on Mar 22, 2019

more info needed.

did you have a lawyer assist with RO? if so s/he will be in the best position to assist you.

usually, a criminal lawyer is questioned about how to get someone out of trouble.

the opposite is usually contacting the police? have you done that yet?

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on

Q: I parked a rented car in the IHOP Parking lot and someone broke the window and took my documents, cash and luggage.

I call 911,the police came and told me to register a reoort on line.I did it.But now I do not have money,and I lost my ticket to Brazil, a lot of things that made my trip a big problem. I took pictures from the place and tehre are a lot of security cameras there.I asked them tomgive memthe images... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow answered on Feb 17, 2019

more info needed....

however, without injuries, this is the type of case a lawyer would probably only handle on an hourly and I suspect you may not be in a position to do so.

you can, however, sue in small claims court for up to $10,000.......but you still have to prove negligence

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for California on

Q: Can I sue a person, posing as a company, asking me to pay with bitcoin or walmart gift cards?

I applied for a job in the cannabis industry. The person," Jonathan Cannnon", I spoke with asked if I had certain cannabis licenses to handle, trim, and grow marijuana. I told him I didn't have any of those licenses. He said that he would be able to process my information in order to obtain those... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow answered on Dec 23, 2018

need more info

anyone can sue anyone for anything at any time.

the more important question is can you afford to hire a lawyer on an hourly and pay costs?.............and then were you damaged or was it prospective only?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for California on

Q: Im being charged with pc530.5(c)(3) i had nothing on me no ids credit cards names nothing

62-161316b roseville/placer county

Dale S. Gribow answered on Oct 31, 2018

much more info needed.

ID theft can be a felony or a misdemeanor and is known as a Wobbler ...often depending on the record and facts or the underlying case.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Immigration Law for California on

Q: i got caught using someone elses debit card

i got caught for using someone elses debit card i used 31 dollars and i got caught because she caught me while buying at a neear by store :DDD she said if i would give her debit card back she would not call the cops. what would happend if she calls the cops?

Dale S. Gribow answered on Oct 24, 2018


1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Family Law and Identity Theft for California on

Q: What action can I take, if I just found out my husband file for divorce as me without my knowledge meant.

I married in '04, I just was informed he filed for divorce as me being the divorcee against his. I wasn't notified or no signature(s) required from me by the courts. After receiving lNS approval in '05. As we continue to moving forward living our lives happily married til his own infidelity... Read more »

Donald Arthur Hilland answered on Sep 29, 2018

So I'm not clear if you are saying that he filed the divorce without knowledge and got a judgment already or just filed the divorce. When a divorce is filed, the papers must be personally served by an independent person, a non party to the divorce, and cannot be served by mail or Fed Ex, etc. So... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft, Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Probate for California on

Q: Grantor 1)RUFFIN, AUSTIN2)RUFFIN, PARIS M W3)WILLIAMS, PARIS MGrantee BANK OF AMER normal or i have a case?

I think stole property thats mine by heir. Although I haven't seen what's written inside these documents, I notice ReContrust Co. is an affiliate & i learned theyre notorious for scamming foreclosures. I need these documents examined for fraudulence. This leads me to a recent public notice of... Read more »

Bahram Madaen answered on Aug 4, 2018

Send me a copy of the loan docs and the notices. I had almost exact issue with BoA couple years ago. The bank was really slow to respond and we had to bring a lawsuit. It took a year to get rid of the loans.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Communications Law and Identity Theft for California on

Q: If no charges are filed against my friends neighbor ( a city worker) when I reported him following me taking pictures..

And in retaliation stalker follows me one eve on the street and robs me of my cell phone wallet etc..isn’t that like intimidation of a witness?

Dale S. Gribow answered on Jul 30, 2018

need more info

however, it sounds like a ROBBERY/theft.......maybe assault and battery depending on the facts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.