Chula Vista, CA asked in Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: Can I be charged with animal abandonment from another state?

I'm in CA and ordered a kitten online from Texas. It was sent by mail but it ended up in Seattle. They want to charge me with animal abandonment if I do not pay $600 which I do not have if I want to get him here or send him back to Texas. They did not tell me about these fees beforehand. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It's possible that you could face charges of animal abandonment if the kitten was shipped to Seattle and is now in a situation where it is not being cared for or has been left without appropriate arrangements being made for its care. Abandonment of an animal is a criminal offense in many states, including California and Texas.

However, it's important to understand the specific circumstances of the situation and the laws in the states involved. In general, it may be difficult for the authorities in one state to bring charges against someone who is located in another state, especially if the alleged offense occurred outside of their jurisdiction.

If you are unable to pay the fees requested by the shipping company and are concerned about potential legal consequences, it may be helpful to consult with an attorney who specializes in animal law or criminal defense. An attorney can help you understand your legal rights and obligations, and may be able to negotiate on your behalf with the shipping company or other authorities involved. It may also be helpful to document all communications and keep records of any payments made or requested.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.