San Antonio, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: Can I sue the code compliance officers for not doing their job responsibilities

code inspection for the city came to my place of residence were I am renting and found violation to be repair cause of unsafe living condition. So the officer told my landlord to fix all repairs on the 4 units .so the inspector came didn't even step in to the property just look in and said I am closing the case but my place never got inspect and now I am injured for the officer not doing their job .I have documents and photos of the property plz help me or point me in the right direction.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Suing the code compliance officer will be expensive with a low probability of success.

Your better option is to sue your landlord if it is responsible for the needed repairs under the terms of your lease agreement.

You might also consider following the procedure set forth in the Texas Property Code to make the repairs yourself and deduct the cost from your rent. I always advise anyone choosing this option to have a quick $500 consultation with an attorney first to insure that the repairs are the landlord’s responsibility and that you thoroughly understand the repair and deduct requirements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.