Canal Winchester, OH asked in Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: I recently had my motion for intervention in lieu of conviction granted. Am I a convicted felon because I plead guilty?

I had a felony drug possession charge and I asked the courts to grant my motion for intervention in lieu of conviction. They granted it and I was placed under supervision by my counties probation department and my case has been stayed. I've been complying with all court orders and this case occured in ohio

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick DiChiro
Patrick DiChiro
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Independence, OH

A: You are not convicted of this offense until you are sentenced. So, what happens in an Intervention In lieu case, in most courts, is that you plead to the offense. You are set for sentencing at a later date. Your case is then stayed until you complete whatever treatment or programs are required of you. It may take 6, 9 0r 12 months. Whatever the Judge determines. You then come back for sentencing, and if you completed whatever you were supposed to do, then the case against you is dismissed and you have NO felony conviction. However, if you fail to comply with the terms of the intervention, then the judge can convict you of the offense and sentence you at that time.

You have received a good break here. Take advantage of it.

Best wishes,

Pat DiChiro

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.