San Bernardino, CA asked in Child Support, Civil Litigation and Family Law for California

Q: Is a stipulated judgment initiated by the LCSA in one county binding in others calif counties? What happens if another

County does not honor it?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, a stipulated judgment initiated by the Local Child Support Agency (LCSA) in one county is generally binding in other counties. This is because California has a statewide child support enforcement system that is designed to ensure that child support orders are enforced consistently across the state.

If another county does not honor the stipulated judgment, the party seeking enforcement may file a petition for registration of the judgment in the non-complying county. Once the judgment is registered, it becomes enforceable in that county as if it were originally issued by a court in that county. The registered judgment can then be enforced through the same methods available to enforce a judgment issued by a court in that county.

It's important to note that the process for enforcing a child support order can be complex, and it's often helpful to consult with an experienced attorney or the LCSA for guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.