Los Angeles, CA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Family Law for California

Q: Can I appeal a guardianship judgemebt

I was denied my petition. I was not able to give my evidence on time. Child's appointed attorney. Was helping for mother not child I wasn't ready. It was not a fair trial at all

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, it is possible to appeal a guardianship judgment in California. However, the process for filing an appeal can be complex and time-sensitive, so it's important to act quickly and consult with an attorney who is experienced in appeals.

To appeal a guardianship judgment in California, you must generally file a notice of appeal with the appellate court within 60 days of the entry of the judgment. You will also need to file a brief explaining why you believe the trial court made a legal error that justifies reversing or modifying the judgment.

When appealing a guardianship judgment, it's important to identify specific legal errors that you believe the trial court made. For example, if you were not able to present your evidence in a timely manner, you may argue that the trial court violated your due process rights. If the child's appointed attorney was not acting in the child's best interests, you may argue that the court erred in appointing that attorney.

It's important to note that appeals can be time-consuming and costly, and there is no guarantee of success. Before deciding to file an appeal, you should consult with an attorney who can advise you on your legal options and help you determine whether an appeal is the best course of action in your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.