Aliso Viejo, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Can a landlord going to your storage unit without notifying you if there no emergency?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, a landlord generally cannot enter a tenant's storage unit without providing notice and obtaining the tenant's consent, unless there is an emergency or other specific circumstances that justify immediate entry.

Specifically, California Civil Code Section 1954 requires landlords to provide tenants with reasonable notice before entering a rental unit for non-emergency purposes, including storage units. The notice must be given in writing and must include the date, time, and purpose of the entry.

There are limited circumstances where a landlord may enter a rental unit without providing notice or obtaining the tenant's consent. These include emergencies, such as a fire or flood, or if the landlord has a court order or other legal authority to enter the unit.

If your landlord has entered your storage unit without providing notice or obtaining your consent, and there was no emergency or other legal justification for the entry, you may have grounds to take legal action. You may wish to consult with a local tenant rights organization or speak with an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant law to understand your options and potential remedies.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.