Newark, NJ asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Can I submit these documents on the portal of the CRIM to request a change of ownership? & request these permits OPGe?

I did the claim de Herrederos after my father passed and I think a ‘Plano de certification y mensura’ may have been done on the property when it was surveyed by an engineer and whole description was filed with the paperwork. Unless it is a separate or different process? don’t know if that was filed with the OPGe? Or if is different than what is required by law. I also noted the number of the original ‘finca’ in the paperwork and found a series of numbers that correspond with each of our paperwork. which after reviewing the documentation I believe that the numbers are the ‘lot numbers’ assigned to each one of us. I think a change of ownership was probably never filed since we were not aware that this should have been done. So, I ‘m wondering if I can check the status of what still needs to addressed and will I need to have the property surveyed again or will I be able to use the information that has already been on record? It’s very difficult getting the needed information, on hold!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ramon  Olivencia
Ramon Olivencia
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Your description contains confusing information about the multiple steps required for an inheritance to be correctly transferred to the heirs. Given the specialized nature of estate law in Puerto Rico, hiring an attorney to do this for you is highly recommended. If everything is correct, a licensed professional could verify the paperwork to be submitted and then file it at the corresponding agencies. Doing it yourself opens the door for multiple errors that will further complicate matters for the estate and possibly freeze the ownership status, costing you multiple hours of work and resources for an attorney to fix the many issues that could arise.

2 users found this answer helpful

Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Unfortunately, unlike the Property Registry's online portal, CRIM requires that the documents be presented physically at their offices.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.