Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Puerto Rico Tax Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property, Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: My dad has property in Puerto Rico. He is now in a nursing home in NJ. Will we lose the property? What can I do to claim

I would like to know if notorized letter is signed in NJ will it help with changing name on property in PR. Not sure, what I need to do as my father is now in a nursing home. He never fixed the right papers to leave me the property. I don't know if the property will be lost?

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Nov 5, 2019

No, a notarized letter is not sufficient to transfer real property. You need a properly drafted deed signed and notarized by your father. First you'll need to determine the ramifications of a transfer. Will this effect medicaid /medicare, will it be a taxable gift, does he have an estate plan,... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: Uncle passed away and had no children. Only surviving relative is my mom. Is she the owner of his property now?

No known will is in place. And we don't know if annual taxes have been paid on property.

Ramon Olivencia, Esq.
Ramon Olivencia, Esq. answered on Aug 31, 2019

If the property is located in PR and his parents are no longer alive, and he did not leave a will, then the heir will be your mom but the inheritance process will have to be done in order for her to formally become the owner. If the property was his principal residence and he had obtained full... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Tax Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: Hello! Will the money received by ex spouse as divorce settlement be taxed?
Andrew M Steiger
Andrew M Steiger answered on Jun 11, 2019

In general, the 2017 TCJA changes the tax laws related to divorce in some key respects. The tax aspects of a property settlement did not change where property changes hands at the time the divorce is finalized. But be careful of receiving property with a built in tax gain where the value exceeds... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Estate Planning for Puerto Rico on
Q: My grandmother wants to sign the deed for her property over to me in Puerto Rico. what complications may I face?

She has the deed and it is registered with the property registry in her county under her name. I am not sure if she owes any taxes etc. on the property but she has owned this land for over 30 years. The property needs maintenance as well. I am looking for some tips in the right directin on how... Read more »

Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte answered on Jun 11, 2018

Good evening and thank you for using JUSTIA. There are various questions you need to be answered before you accept such as is there a mortgage, is this her only property, are there any children (future inheritors), is it tax free, any liens, ect. The first thing you should do is have a title search... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.