Edmond, OK asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: Do I have to introduce my child father to my current boyfriend before my child?

I have been dating someone for over 2 years and he has never met my daughter but he is aware of her. My current boyfriend recently expressed that he’d like to meet my child. My daughter told her dad that she will be meeting mom’s boyfriend, now her dad is threatening me saying he wants to take me to court. My question is does he have that right? Does he have a case against me just because he doesn’t want another guy around? We were never married. He has also introduced my child to the person he is with before I met her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick

A: A non-custodial parent can take a custodial parent back to court to modify custody or to modify the terms and conditions of possession at any time until the child reaches 18 years of age.

Any such case will be adjudicated based on the facts and circumstances proven by the admissible evidence presented at trial.

Introducing a new boyfriend into the situation can be a significant factor depending on the particular facts and circumstances, especially if the new boyfriend has a criminal record that indicates he poses a danger to the child.

In most instances, merely introducing the boyfriend to the child after two years of dating would not, standing alone, justify a significant change to your existing custody order.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.