Asked in Child Custody, Civil Litigation and Family Law for Ohio

Q: I am being harassed over text. Should I take action?

My coparent and his wife continuously harrass me over text. They attack me, my character and parenting style. No threats of harm have been made. I do not respond to these messages yet they continue to send them. I don't block their number because my son lives in their household during visitation. Am I able to pursue a protection/restraining order based on this harassment? Or should I just continue to ignore them?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you don't have an existing custody order, I'd recommend pursuing one and making a condition of the order being that everyone uses a third-party messenger service, like Our Family Wizard, to communicate. The benefit there is that anyone, including the court or GAL, will have instant access to the communications. This can do quite a bit to make people behave more civilly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.