Benton, AR asked in Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: My 18 yo son received a citation for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

He had a get together at his dad's house, the police showed up and told him that a 14 yo was being pulled over and fled the police causing him to crash . He told the police he had left my son's party. My son did not invite nor he knows the kid, which he explained to the police. The officer still gave him a citation. Is that possible?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Lane Hughes
Richard Lane Hughes
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: It is clearly possible based upon your statement. Citizens are often shocked when they are affected by the powers of the police and prosecutors. Remember when you vote that the prosecutor has the discretion and makes the decision to charge a person with a crime.

Many potentially determining factors are missing from your question. Was the 14 year under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time he fled police? If so, did he obtain these substances from your son? Did your son acquiesce in this 14 year old being a visitor at the "get together" at the father's house?

I expect that it would be difficult for a prosecutor to prove that your son contributed to the younger man's behavior away from that gathering. However, he needs legal representation. If he cannot afford an attorney the court will appoint a lawyer to represent him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.