Dayton, OH asked in Divorce and Family Law for Ohio

Q: What would happen if I was to contact my husbands divorce attorney with a offer bc my attorney won't listen to the offe?

We have been trying to get divorced for four months this is our fifth hearing I went to my attorney an told her I just want it to be over he can have everything as long as . An he can have 50/50 of our daughter an she won't take it to his attorney what could happen if I did?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Four months is not that long. Many divorce cases take up to a year. The court process moves slowly - at the judge's pace. Talk to your attorney first, and find out why she won't pass along that offer. Your attorney knows what is realistic and what is a fair outcome for you, and your attorney is trying to get the best possible outcome for you. You might later regret just giving everything to your spouse -- just to get it over quicker, and then it would be too late to go back. The divorce is final. Your desire to get it finished quickly is understandable, but doing it quickly is not always best. If you contact your spouse's attorney directly, that really undercuts your attorney, and your attorney could drop your case, and then you would have to start all over and find a new attorney, and that would cost more and take even longer. So talk to your attorney, and try to be patient while your attorney works things out for you. It could take several more months. The judge sets the schedule, and there is nothing the attorney can do to speed up the judge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.