Oklahoma City, OK asked in Real Estate Law, Elder Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma

Q: Can you claim ownership of a home you’ve been living in 17 years?

My grandmother has lived in her home since 2005-2006. There was never any written agreements for tenancy nor was the house sold to her. It was a verbal agreement between her and a friend that she was allowed to live there. Since, the owners have passed away and their daughter now owns the home.

Does my grandparent have any ground to claim the property after living there so long? The now owner has been implying that the home could be taken away from her either before or after she dies and she’s concerned about the welfare of my other family members that live there.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Potentially has adverse possession claim, however if she was there with permission then that removes the adverse aspect. Contact a real estate attorney for your best advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.