Detroit, MI asked in Probate and Family Law for Michigan

Q: I need to know what paperwork I need to file to get guardianship of my developmentally challenged 32 yr old daughter.

My daughter has been on SSI sense age 16 and is cognitively impaired . Her mom is her payee because she is incapable of handling her own finance's, she is being manipulated by a boyfriend that she's had for about 4 months now and he wants control of her finances and they are both addicts and we as her parents don't know how to stop this from happening.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Trent Harris
Trent Harris
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If you are the parent of someone who is unable to handle his or her own affairs, you can file a petition for guardianship, and if there are assets that need protection, you can also file a petition for conservatorship. A guardian and conservator is someone who is appointed by the court to be legally responsible for another person.

Your question appears to show that you are located in Detroit. If the alleged incapacitated 32-year old is also in Detroit, then you should check out the website of the Wayne County Probate Court for more information about guardianship and conservatorship. I also recommend that you contact a local probate attorney for an in-person consult so you can get legal advice that is specifically tailored to your situation. Unfortunately, legal websites like these can only offer you the most basic information and tell you where to get started looking for the information you need.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.