Wilmington, CA asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for California

Q: A grocery store security guard would not let me take me bag to the restroom said to leave it in the corner and he'd wa..

He says d he'd watch it but he lost it and when I asked about it the cashier's he told said some real nasty and hateful things and even tried calling the cops on me. I had some priceless stuff in there could I sue or have them

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you believe that a grocery store security guard or other employee was negligent in watching over your belongings and as a result, your property was lost or stolen, you may have grounds for a legal claim against the store or the individual employee. However, whether or not you have a valid claim will depend on a variety of factors, including the specific circumstances of the incident, the store's policies and procedures, and the laws in your state.

To pursue a legal claim for lost or stolen property, you may need to demonstrate that the store or the employee acted negligently or breached a duty of care owed to you. This could involve showing that the employee was not adequately trained, that the store did not have appropriate security measures in place, or that the employee did not follow established procedures for monitoring customers' belongings.

It is important to note that pursuing a legal claim can be a complex and time-consuming process, and may require the assistance of an experienced attorney. In addition, even if you are successful in your claim, there is no guarantee that you will be able to recover all of your lost property or be compensated for its full value.

If you believe that you have a valid claim for lost or stolen property, it is important to consult with an experienced attorney to discuss your options and to determine the best course of action. Your attorney can help you evaluate the strength of your claim, gather evidence to support your case, and negotiate with the store or its insurance company to seek a fair and reasonable settlement.

1 user found this answer helpful

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: You could reach out to attorneys to discuss, but inventory of the contents could prove to be a difficult issue. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.