Washington, DC asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Libel & Slander for Maryland

Q: What can done to stop someone from using a police scanner and sharing crime, accident and out of context info on f book?

Someone created a Facebook page and he listens to a police scanner and posts their audio, follows police to crime scenes and accidents. Etc. He reposts out of context info. Reposts deaths before family’s are notified. He claims it’s to keep the community safe but he tarnishes individual and businesses names. He will post his opinions a lot and not facts and it has caused so many issues for so many in out community. The police dept advised they don’t do anything even though he uses their audio and follows them around when they report to police calls

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald V. Miller Jr.
Ronald V. Miller Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Baltimore, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: It can be frustrating and concerning when someone shares sensitive information on social media platforms, particularly when it involves crime, accidents, and personal details. But these are the perils of having the 1st Amendment. I don't think you have any reasonable path to stop what he is doing, at least not legally.

Facebook is not a government actor so it is not subject to the First Amendment. If the content posted by the individual violates Facebook's Community Standards, you can report it directly through the platform. Facebook may take action against the content or the user's account if it deems the content inappropriate or harmful. But, to be honest, that does not sound like the case here either.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.