Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Massachusetts

Q: Will a Massachusetts judge grant a motion for video chat visits twice a week for 15 minutes with a 1 year old child?

I live in MA & currently have temporary sole legal and physical custody of our child. My ex lives out of state in Maryland and will soon start court ordered parenting time every other weekend for 6 hours. He frequently disappears for weeks to months at a time without any contact. He has also refused to help me with contribution to our son’s medical bills and has not given me any $ since our child was born. Needless to say, communication lately has been quite strained & hostile. We have a child support hearing coming up soon. In response to my request for sole legal /physical custody & child support, my ex’s lawyer filed a motion for joint legal custody & video chat visits twice a week with the baby. It is very difficult to get a one year old with a lot of energy to stay in place or hold the phone. Will the judge approve this motion?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: The Court could enter a version of the requested order , but you should assert the difficulty involved in having the child participate for the full length of the call . Of greater concern at this point is the lack of consistency by father "disappearing for weeks or months" . Is there also an alcohol or substance abuse issue involved? The location of the six hour visit has not been stated, nor whether it is supervised nor if so , the type of supervision- i.e., by a Visitation Center, Social Worker? If there is no supervision has supervision been requested? You could well benefit and so would your child from having legal representation in this matter.

Brian Waller agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.