Deer Park, TX asked in Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for Texas

Q: How can I find a medical neglect attorney who would take my case if it is not worth hundreds of thousands of dollars ?

I injured my leg pretty bad and at the time didnt know my ankle was fractured. Next to my primary care doctor was a doctor who had orthopedic sports medicine specialty on his door he was only a DO. I made an appt. My leg was bruised from the top of the knee all the way down to my foot was black and blue. I had a big hematoma on the front of my leg as well. All he did was an xray of my leg prescribed me over the counter pain patches and nausea medicine no antibiotics nothing. Come to find out later on when I went to the er I had celulitis and had to be admitted. I had to have surgery because my injury was not treated properly. I also was discharged from the hospital with celulitis because the hospital needed my bed. I didn't even see a doctor the day I was released. The social worker is the one who discharged me I had a drainage tube on the side of my leg and no home are follow up instructions were giving to me.

2 Lawyer Answers
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The best way is to offer to pay an hourly fee plus all case expenses.

Clients with medical malpractice cases often expect an attorney to take their case on a contingency fee and to front all case expenses which can be substantial.

It rarely makes sense to do so unless the realistic damages to be recovered are hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It also means that all of the risk is on the lawyer who will get paid nothing if the case is lost.

Paying a fair hourly fee ($350-500) shifts the risk and ensures the lawyer that he/she will be reasonably compensated for his/her work

Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: The only way to do this is to contact medical malpractice attorneys in your state. Medical malpractice cases have many requirements and are expensive to pursue. Therefore, many attorneys require significant damages before they can take on a medical malpractice case. This can be made even worse depending on the state laws that may limit recoveries in medical malpractice cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.