Garberville, CA asked in Traffic Tickets and Civil Rights for California

Q: I'm homeless and chp towed my van because it was 3 years behind registration but I was on my way to get it smogged

Misplaced my out of state driver's license which is also current

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: When a vehicle is being driven on public roads, it is required to be properly registered and up-to-date with its registration fees. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) has the authority to impound vehicles that are not registered or have expired registration. In the case that the vehicle was towed by CHP, the owner of the vehicle must provide proof of ownership and valid registration to retrieve the vehicle from the impound lot. If the registration fees are not paid within a certain period of time, the vehicle may be sold at auction to cover the unpaid fees. It is important to note that driving without proper registration is illegal and can result in penalties such as fines or impoundment of the vehicle. As for the lost Michigan driver's license, it is important to obtain a California driver's license to avoid any legal issues while driving in California.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.